Bold is been there and done that.
1. Heard a kookaburra in person. Visit the Somerville Theatre during the festival. Not only will you hear one, you’re more likely to get your picnic swooped out of your hands.
2. Slept under the stars
3. Seen a koala. These are not cuddly, really!
4. Visited Melbourne
5. Watched a summer thunderstorm
6. Worn a pair of thongs. Current pair are blue with white spots.
7. Been to Uluru (Ayer’s Rock). Walked round once, and climbed twice.
8. Visited Cape York. Would have except the cyclone made the roads a bit wet for our car that was not insured for ‘off-road’.
9. Held a snake. I think it was a Carpet Python. Was told not to pick up the Brown Snake.
10. Sang along with Khe Sanh. It’s what you did when Cold Chisel played in the pub.
11. Drank VB. Prefer Coopers these days.
12. Visited Sydney
13. Have seen a shark. In Dongara on a field trip, got one caught in our net – twice. Only a little Grey Nurse. Just a bit longer than the broom stick I was told to hold to keep it at a distance.
14. Have used Aussie slang naturally in a conversation
15. Had an actual conversation with an indigenous Australian (Aboriginal).
16. Eaten hot chips from the bag at the beach
17. Walked/climbed over the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Got out the car to stand at one end and have a look, that’s all.
18. Used an outside dunny, and checked under the seat before sitting down. Didn’t have a seat.
19. Seen Chloe in Young & Jackson’s.
20. Slept on an overnight train or bus
21. Been to Sydney’s Mardi Gras
22. Have gone bush-bashing. It is how I learnt to drive.
23. Taken a sickie
24. Been to see a game of Aussie Rules football. ‘East Perth’ came to Newman.
25. Have seen wild camels
26. Gone skinny dipping
27. Had a Tim Tam Slam
28. Ridden in a tram in Melbourne
29. Been at an ANZAC day Dawn Service. Prefer to think of all that stuff on the 11th November.
30. Watched a sunrise or sunset
31. Held a wombat. And worried that it was going to piss all over me.
32. Been on a roadtrip of 800km or more
33. Seen the Great Australian Bight in person
34. Had a really bad sunburn
35. Visited an Aboriginal community
36. Seen a redback spider. I think they are really pretty. Only squash them if I think the cats are going to be near.
37. Have watched Paul Hogan
38. Seen Blue Polls in person
39. Wandered barefoot in the bush/outback
40. Eaten Vegemite
41. Thrown a boomerang
42. Seen the Kimberlies (used to seeing it as the Kimberleys).
43. Given a hitch-hiker a lift. I’m not usually the one driving.
44. Been to Perth
45. Have tried Lemon, Lime and Bitters. Used to be my drink of choice if didn’t like the house wine or not drinking beer.
46. Tried playing a didgeridoo
47. Seen dinosaur footprints. Went looking for them in Broome, but didn’t see them.
48. Eaten Tim Tams
49. Been to Darwin. Before Cyclone Tracy.
50. Touched a kangaroo. Dead and alive.
51. Visited the Great Barrier Reef. It was here that I decided to give skindiving a go, and decided it wasn’t for me.
52. Listened to Kevin Bloody Wilson
53. Killed a Cane Toad. The ones we could step on, but the big ones we grabbed by the hind legs simply tossed out the pool. They were better swimmers than we were.
54. Gone to a drive-in theatre. Most memorable film at the drive-in was ‘Jaws’. It took me a long time before I would go open swimming.
55. Have read and own books by Australian authors. Tim Winton is my current favourite.
56. Visited Adelaide
57. Know the story behind “Eternity”
58. Been camping
59. Visited Brisbane
60. Been in an outback pub. Is there anything else in the outback?
61. Know what the term “Waltzing Matilda” actually means
62. Gone whale watching. Being so close you can eye each other is a pretty amazing experience.
63. Listened to Slim Dusty. Inadvertently.
64. Own five or more Australian movies or TV series. I go out to the theatre or borrow DVDs from the library.
65. Sang along to Down Under
66. Have stopped specifically to look at an historic marker by the side of the road.
67. Eaten a 4’n’20 pie
68. Surfed at Bondi. Haven’t surfed at any beaches. Surfing is in the same list as water skiing and skindiving.
69. Watched the cricket on Boxing Day. There is usually nothing else on the telly, but I usually get books for Christmas anyway.
70. Visited Hobart
71. Eaten kangaroo. Tending to do it more frequently.
72. Seen a quokka
73. Visited Canberra
74. Visited rainforests
75 Used a Victa lawnmower.
76. Travelled on a tram in Adelaide
77. Watch canefields burning. Only smelt them.
78. Used a Hills hoist
79. Visited the Olgas
80. Used native Australian plants in cooking.
81. Visited the snow. Not in Australia.
82. Chosen a side in Holden VS Ford. Holden 🙂
83. Visited the desert. Lived on the edge.
84. Been water skiing. Need strong knees.
85. Read The Phantom. Wasn’t aware that this was a particularly Australian thing, but yeah, one of the few comics that came into the newsagent in Newman.
86. Visited Parliament House. Old and new.
87. Gone spotlighting or pig-shooting. Bunnies and roos.
88. Crossed the Nullarbor. When it was dirt.
89. Avoided swimming in areas because of crocodiles. I don’t want to get close enough to tell the difference between a saltwater or a freshwater crocodile. But I remember swimming in Katherine Gorge with crocodiles, but I was not convinced it was ok.
90. Listened to AC/DC. Still have the cassettes.
91. Called someone a dag
92. Voted in a Federal Election
93. Have been swimming and stayed between the flags. Also make sure that there are people further out than me.
94. Had a possum in your roof
95. Visited the outback
96. Travelled over corrugated roads. Even been on what is called Corrugation Road.
97. Hit a kangaroo while driving. Don’t drive at hoppy time.
98. Been well outside any mobile phone coverage. If I had one, I’d leave it at home.
99. Seen an emu.
100. Have woken to the smell of bushfires